Monday, August 15, 2011

Convocation

According to the thefreedictionary.com by Farlex, Convocation means:


con·vo·ca·tion  (knv-kshn)
n.
1.
a. The act of convoking.
b. A group of people convoked, especially the members of a college or university community who are assembled for a ceremony.
2. A clerical assembly of the Anglican Church similar to a synod but assembling only when called.
3.
a. An assembly of the clergy and representative laity of a section of a diocese of the Episcopal Church.
b. The district represented at such an assembly.

To university students, it's suppose to be a right of passage, officially marking the end of a fun filled legacy of entertainment, excitement, intelligent sought filled with gastronomical years of struggling to achieve a thin piece of destructable paper saying you are finally qualified to do something petty. In my case, to teach. 

All around facebook, fellow classmates are bursting to the seams with joy at finally getting their Diploma and followed by their equally happy yet atrocious parents. -sneers- Well perhaps my parents are, not theirs. Mine, more specifically my father, thinks it's a waste of time to come. He thinks it's so insignificant. So ludicrous. Heinous. Probably a mockery to his pride to attend. 

In which case, his less then amiable attitude is contagious and I feel like a freak for wanting to go. Nevertheless, I'm bound to go, don't I? I'll further my degree in the same university. It'll seem odd not to go. I wouldn't want it to be anything less then special since it's my special day but it isn't, isn't it? It's just another day. Another hardship I have to endure. It's nothing special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment